Nothing much to say that is. I spent part of Mothers' Day with my sister, eating indifferent BBQ. But we're getting along much better and that's good.
I had some more thoughts about our dad. I was thinking about this argument I got into on Saturday night. I was thinking about music and Dionne Warwick sounds great to me now and how dismissive I was of her (considerable) talent when I was a teenager. I was thinking about how easy ear worms are acquired and how hard they are to get rid of, presently afflicted with Jerry Orbach's version of "Promises, Promises" from the cast recording back in 1964 or so. (What a good singer he was! )
Ideas and half-formed thoughts swirl around like dust bunnies and I think that I really need to sweep.
1 comment:
At least the BBQ didn't seem to mind being eaten. That's always a good sign. I personally prefer Shmoos, though.
Dionne Warwick is one of those singers who magically get much better when we're less easily impressed by the semi-talented pop icons of our youth. I remember thinking I should like all her '60s stuff, especially the Bacharach collaborations, because other people did. Something clicked, though, because as a high-school math geek I wrote some spoof lyrics to "San Jose" which will be unrepeated here. That said, her foray into '70s pop (Track of the Cat, anyone?) was not to her credit.
Now, I compare all versions of certain songs to hers, and hers almost always stand out. (I love Cleo Laine but Dionne's Alfie still wins. Or "wins" if you prefer, as there's no bad Cleo either.)
I never quite registered Jerry Orbach as a Broadway icon until a few years ago. I only knew him from TV roles, notably Murder, She Wrote episodes. My bad, I know.
Post a Comment