Sunday, April 17, 2011

palm fronds

Today was Palm Sunday. The only reason I know this is that I saw a palm frond folded into the shape of a cross. It was lying on a bench near the local farmers' market. There are several churches in the area.

When I was a kid, I went to church or Sunday School nearly every week. I liked Palm Sunday for the palm fronds that were given out. We'd take them home and give them to our grandmothers (one for each) and the fronds would be put in a tall vase and there they'd stand, yellowing, until next year.

Seeing the one today, I thought that I prefer the unfolded one. The plain frond is a reminder of Jesus' final entry to Jerusalem and how he was welcomed. All of which puts into motion this week's drama. The origami version seems to be jumping ahead in the story, prefiguring the tragedy of Friday, putting the emphasis on that climatic afternoon, rather than letting the story tell itself, going from triumph to tragedy to apotheosis.

I may an atheist, but I know it's wrong to jump ahead to read the end of the mystery.

No comments: