Monday, November 14, 2016

seasonality

In case you hadn't noticed, 2016 has been the worst. It led off with David Bowie dying in January. Then Alan Rickman, Maurice White, Vanity,  Patty Duke, Merle Haggard, Prince. Muhammad Ali, Elie Wiesel, Gene Wilder, Bill Nunn, Leonard Cohen, and last weekend, Leon Russell.

(Miss Clio died in there too.)

Gwen Ifill died today. I heard from an old friend that a mutual friend is dying. Other friends are facing other health challenges. Someone I've known since I was five years old died suddenly earlier this year.

This is what getting old looks like.

It feels like fall, when one day the trees are full of brightly colored leaves and then there's a storm. Overnight, there are only a few stubborn leaves left, hanging on the the branches while the rest carpet the ground. So I'm approaching that fall day with all of my friends, hoping that we will be those bright, stubborn coins of color, until the heart of winter.

No comments: