Saturday, June 24, 2006

chez panisse

It's Pride weekend and two friends from Seattle are in town. One of them had never been to Chez Panisse, so she made reservations for lunch. I gotta say it was disappointing. That was a surprise.

I've probably been to this restaurant about five times total, counting today. I first went with my then girl-friend back in the mid to late seventies. Then (voice quavering) you could cruise by on Monday and make a reservation for later in the week. The prices seemed high $18 - $25 for the dinners, but then we were both working at these jobs that didn't pay a whole lot and going out was a real occasion. Eating there was a revelation. I grew up never tasting an avocado or fresh mushrooms for that matter. I lived for a while with a woman who turned herself into a cook (nearly chef) by working her way through the Time-Life cookbook series. I had an idea about food being something more that the (sometimes very good) food I'd grown up with and Chez Panisse made those ideas real. The meals I remember best are a Rhône tasting menu and cassoulet. The tasting menu was amazing and the cassoulet almost killed us both (beans). I rarely had had food so good and so complete.

Today the food was just ok; the service was downright bad. I felt as though I was in a theme park for gastronomie. Talking about it later to a fellow food fan, I realized that CP has been a springboard or inspiration for probably hundreds (if not thousands) of restaurants. Now it's far from the only game in town. I've had better meals (and cheaper) in a bunch of other places in the Bay Area. I actually think I make a better berry crumble and ice cream than the ones I tasted today.

It's a shrine, an absent one if today was any indication. There were two standouts, to be fair. Carmen ordered a Californian sea bass prepared with spinach, peas, and wild fennel. Subtle , savoury, it was pretty perfect. I had an elderflower soda. that was a little citrusy, very bright flavor, great for this hot sunny day.

No comments: